Senior Protection Initiative is run by the Delaware Attorney General's Office and consists of a three part approach: Public Education, Law Enforcement Education, and a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) comprised of prosecutors, police, and social services representatives to promote awareness regarding elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation.
Delaware World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)
The Senior Protection Initiative recognized the 10th Annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day on June 15, 2015 with events in all three counties. Based on the theme "Stop Abuse of the Vulnerable and Elderly (SAVE)", the events were designed to bring greater recognition of mistreatment of older adults and highlight the resources available to victims and their families. Those who attended were encouraged to wear purple.
Thank you to the Cape Gazette for the great article on the Georgetown CHEER Center presentation in Sussex County! Read the Cape Gazette article HERE.
If you suspect a senior citizen is a victim of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation, please call Delaware's Adult Protective Services at 1-800-223-9074. If you suspect a case of elder abuse in a Delaware licensed long-term care or assisted living facility, please contact the Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection at 1-877-453-0012.
- Adult Protective Services
- Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection
- Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities
- Delaware Center for Justice: Elderly Victims Services
- Delaware Department of Justice Consumer Protection Unit
- Delaware Elder Mediation Services, Inc. (DEMSI)
- Senior Legal Help-Line
- New Castle County: 1-302-478-8850
- Kent/Sussex County: 1-800-773-0606
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse Factsheet from the NCEA
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- National Adult Protective Services Association