Senior Protection Initiative is run by the Delaware Attorney General's Office and consists of a three part approach: Public Education, Law Enforcement Education, and a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) comprised of prosecutors, police, and social services representatives to promote awareness regarding elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation.
Delaware World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) Events
The Senior Protection Initiative will recognize the 10th Annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day on June 15 with events in all three counties. Based on the theme "Stop Abuse of the Vulnerable and Elderly (SAVE)", the events are designed to bring greater recognition of mistreatment of older adults and highlight the resources available to victims and their families.
Event times and locations can be found below. Follow the links to view the corresponding event flyer. Members of the public are encouraged to attend and are encouraged to wear purple.
This flyer includes all four events.
New Castle County
Sacred Heart Village
920 N. Madison Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
Newark Senior Center
Evergreen Banquet Room
200 White Chapel Drive, Newark, DE 19713
Modern Maturity Center
Main Dining Room
1121 Forrest Avenue, Dover, DE 19904
CHEER Community Center
20520 Sandhill Road, Georgetown, DE 19947
If you suspect a senior citizen is a victim of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation, please call Delaware's Adult Protective Services at 1-800-223-9074. If you suspect a case of elder abuse in a Delaware licensed long-term care or assisted living facility, please contact the Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection at 1-877-453-0012.
- Adult Protective Services
- Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection
- Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities
- Delaware Center for Justice: Elderly Victims Services
- Delaware Department of Justice Consumer Protection Unit
- Delaware Elder Mediation Services, Inc. (DEMSI)
- Senior Legal Help-Line
- New Castle County: 1-302-478-8850
- Kent/Sussex County: 1-800-773-0606
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse Factsheet from the NCEA
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- National Adult Protective Services Association